Ruminations

Blog dedicated primarily to randomly selected news items; comments reflecting personal perceptions

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Don't Underestimate Your Neighbours

There, I did it. Again. Said I wouldn't, did it anyway. Just one of those people who cannot say no. Well, I can and sometimes do say no, but often forming that little denial becomes difficult, and it somehow comes out a squawky, tight little "all right". Again, a volunteer for The Ontario March of Dimes called in December as they've done for the last three years. First time I agreed, despite wondering whether I was truly insane, agreeing to go out canvassing door-to-door during the month of January.

Actually, it wasn't too bad, turned out quite all right. I didn't freeze, I wasn't disappointed post-Christmas, by the response from our neighbours. But that was also the year I canvassed for Heart & Stroke, Canadian Cancer Society and CNIB; four in total, and that really was too much. I truly did sympathize with my neighbours, having to see my face at their door on four separate occasions, urging them to cough up some of their hard-earned cash for charity.

Because, after all, most people do give to charitable causes. And most people have their favourite charities; favourite in the sense that they have a personal connection, in that they or another member of their family or even a close friend had a close call with a dread disease, or is living with the effects of some debilitating illness. And then there are all those other types of causes, funding charities who do good work on our behalf abroad.

So here I come along with yet another charitable cause or two clinging to my lips, ready to write a receipt for a donation to provide yet another charity with the wherewithal to go about their good work. Still, people do understand that it is in our best interests to support these institutions which offer assistance to people in need, which fund medical research. If not because we will need their help in the future, then because we have an obligation toward others in society who do require their assistance.

So, I decided I would go out canvassing for them this month. I had lapsed last year and canvassed only for the Cancer Society and the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, leaving the Salvation Army, the Arthritis Society, the Canadian Diabetes Society and the Heart & Stroke Foundation without my voluntary services. I took a break and in so doing gave our neighbours some additional breathing space.

I've had this canvass kit for roughly three weeks. I keep proctastinating. I rationalize, it's still early in the month, it's too cold to go out walking on the street, the weather is too inclement with freezing rain. Comes a time, say past the ides of the month when you haven't got all that much time left, and when a really mild evening presents itself and you have to propel yourself out the door.

And this I did, this very evening. Went door to door to greet my neighbours, rouse them out of their post-dinner hazy, lazy rest to respond to the doorbell and in so doing wafting a cloud of cold air into their cozy homes. When they see me, they smile, welcome me and invite me in. They're so accustomed to seeing me at the door, canvass kit in hand; they only need to know what the charity-of-the-moment is. They profer the cash or write the cheque and accept the receipt I've written in exchange.

Pleasantries fly back and forth. We bring one another up to date on things that have been happening in each family. I gape with amazement seeing the toddler I'd known years back now a tall and husky young man or a slim beauty. Compliments are exchanged and accepted. We honour one another.

Mission accomplished.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
()() Follow @rheytah Tweet