Ruminations

Blog dedicated primarily to randomly selected news items; comments reflecting personal perceptions

Thursday, November 01, 2018

The Joint Affliction of Royalty

"Not for one second did I ever think I had gout because I knew it was for people double my age."
"This year in particular has been quite frustrating. I've had gout three or four times, and I don't really know what from. So for the last four or five weeks I've actually cut out most dairy [from his diet]."
"I think young people just don't really understand or appreciate what we're putting into our bodies."
Harry Tyndall, 28, London, England
image

A battle against the scourge of men who overindulge. Esquire

"What's not easy to describe is the pain gout inflicts. I remember my first attack as if it were just fifteen minutes ago rather than fifteen years. It was 3:00 a.m. I awoke, to paraphrase the first sentence of Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow, to a screaming coming across my sky. The big toe on my right foot was cherry-red and as swollen as a clown's nose. It felt as if someone had taken a flat nail and driven it, like a Vulcan, through the toe's midpoint. If a small puff of wind blew over this toe or a sheet so much as grazed it, it was as if a gang of droogs had commandeered Hannibal's elephants and had them each step on that nail, one at a time. I woke small children and large pets with my howls. I whimpered like a baby."







uric acid crystals magnified





"Dietary changes can help reduce uric acid levels in the blood. Since purine chemicals are converted by the body into uric acid, purine-rich foods should be avoided. Foods rich in purines include shellfish and organ meats, such as liver, brains, and kidneys. Researchers have reported that meat or seafood consumption increases the risk of gout attacks, while dairy consumption seemed to reduce this risk. Weight reduction can be helpful in lowering the risk of recurrent attacks of gout."
"Certain medications reduce the pain and inflammation of gout attacks, such as anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen and naproxen), colchicine, and corticosteroids. Other medications decrease the level of uric acid in the blood and prevent the deposit of uric acid in joints (gouty arthritis), the kidneys (stones), and in tissue (tophi), helping to prevent further attacks and complications. These drugs include allopurinol, febuxostat, lesinurad, and probenicid."
Web MD
Three mature friends having  picnic with wine
WebMD

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
()() Follow @rheytah Tweet